Hello ZigaZagers! It’s bloggie Friday, so if you’re not into blogging and blog tips then please look away. But just for you here’s a dreamy read today … how about popping over to Australia’s Golden Outback instead, and drooling over some gorgeous beaches like those below?
The rest of you. Hey, Hey, It’s Friday! Wanna listen up?
Today I’m posting some inside tricks of the trade from one of Australia’s master bloggers.
Blog tips from Darren Rowse
I love blogging events and conferences, especially those organised by Darren Rowse, and these blog tips come straight from the Trojan horse’s mouth – when he was speaking at one of the ProBlogger conferences held in Melbourne some time ago. His session was called: Blog from the heart, but smart. (See, it helps to keep old notepads and label them!)
Don’t know about you, but I can wander around at a blogging event in a either a totally dazed state, not quite able to take everything in, or otherwise I’m yacking to someone nineteen to the dozen, and oblivious to everything else that’s going on around me. So when I’m in a session, I am very focused on taking notes on my iPad or in a notebook.
What amazed me was how much I’d forgotten since then, and these blog tips really jolted my memory, and made me conscious of how important it is to apply things that you learn at conferences, instead of allowing the information to remain dormant and gather dust in old notebooks.
Having said that, the information is as valid today as it was back then.
So without further ado, here are 7 expert blog tips that I gleaned from Darren’s session that will hopefully get you thinking on this bloggie Friday.
Blog from the heart
- The more you think about your blog, the better it will be.
- A formula doesn’t always work. But a blogger who brings passion to their blog makes it that much more interesting to readers. When you are passionate about blogging, you attract passionate readers; when you are interesting, you attract interested readers; and when you are creative about blogging you attract creative readers.
- If there are no tears in the writer, then there are no tears in the reader.
- Telling stories is key to blogging from the heart. People remember stories.
- Inspire people – allow people to dream about what could be. Lives can be a little dull, even a little hard, so being allowed to dream gives people hope.
- Be yourself. Maybe show an old photo of yourself, write your blog as if you are writing an email to a friend. I (Darren) write in conversational style.
- Blog with the intention of being useful and helping people. The more useful you are to people, the more you solve their big or small problems, the bigger your community will grow.
What do you think? Have these tips made you think a little bit more deeply about how you go about things on your blog?
I think if you mash all those tips together and commit them to memory, no commit them into the very fibre of your blogging self, then your blogs can’t help but shine.
I’m guilty of sometimes being too ‘teachy’ and ‘markety’ at ZigaZag, when really I should be watching myself bleed all over the keyboard.
I can feel a fainting attack coming on 🙂
Next week on Bloggie Friday, we’ll be looking at some more of Darren’s tips to “Blog Smart”.
In the meantime … how about you? Do you blog from the heart? Or do you have a different take on committing your heart and soul to the internet?